Its that time of year again, the open is just around the corner. It is an opportunity for all Outliers, no matter your age or experience level, to learn a little bit about yourself as an athlete, and to bond with your fellow gym members. All while having a little bit of fun along the way.
What is the Open?
The 2021 CrossFit Games Open is a three-week competition open to anyone. Competitors are given one workout to complete each week and submit their scores online.
The Open is Open to All
It doesn’t matter if you’re 14, 40, or 64. Just starting out or a muscle-up pro. And adaptive athletes are here to win. Compare your results by division, location, gym, or group. There are 3 divisions: Rx, Scaled, and Foundations. There will even be workout options released to involve no equipment, making the open truly accessible to anyone.
How Do I Register?
CLICK HERE to register for The CrossFit Open
When Does The Open Take Place?
Week 1 – Week of March 8th
Week 2 – Week of March 15th
Week 3 – Week of March 22nd
Top 10% advance to weeks 4 and 5!
Outlier’s Intra-Gym Competition – Masters vs. Millennials
Each year we pair the Open with a friendly intra-gym competition. This year will be Masters vs Millennials. We will split open participants in half based on age and see who comes out on top! More than just workout performance will be considered each week. Also, the age split will be determined after people have signed up in order to try to make the two teams as fair as possible.
…ages as of 03/11/2021
The age cutoff will be determined once we have a better idea who is participating. We will try to make an even-ish split of the participants, both by age and athletes on each time. Look for something like masters being age 35 and over.
Each week we will gather in group setting to complete the workouts. This will not be your only opportunity to complete the workout, but it will certainly be the most fun. Please come if you can make it! Spectators welcome of course. Friday night lights will be more light Friday afternoon lights, see below for the timeline.
Week 1 – Friday Night Lights (3/12). Gym opens at 2:45pm, first heat at 3:30pm.
Week 2 – Saturday Morning Smackdown (3/20). Gym opens at 8:00am, first heat at 9:00am. This week is brought to you by the Hero Barbell Co. See below for more info!
Week 3 – Friday Night Lights (3/26). Gym opens at 2:45, first heat at 3:30pm.
Subsequent heat times will be posted after workouts are released so we can determine the time frame needed. Expect heats to run every 20-30 minutes. You will be expected to warm up on your own.
The guys from the Hero Barbell Company will be in the house on Saturday 3/20 to throw down with us. We recently purchased one of their barbells and I have nothing but good things to say about it. We will hopefully be getting a few more for the gym in the near future. So please show up to show some support for a local company, get some swag, and enter yourself in the raffle to win a free barbell! You must be registered for the open to be eligible.
This year we will try to provide a scoring structure that places less of an emphasis on a team’s overall performance, but incentivizes participation in gym events.
- Complete the workout: 1 point
- Complete the workout at the gym’s event (Friday Night Lights or Saturday Morning Smackdown): 1 point
- Top 10 men and women, Rx division (all age groups): 10-1 points, for those who complete the workout Rx that week
- 1st = 10 points, 2nd = 9 points, 2nd = 8 points, etc…10th = 1 point
- Top 5 scaled men and women, scaled (all age groups): 10-2 points, for those who complete the workout scaled that week (using the official scale from crossfit.com).
- 1st = 10 points, 2nd = 8 points, etc…5th = 2 points
- Judge an open workout: 1 point
- Please note that all athletes participating in Outlier’s Masters vs. Millennials event must be judged, regardless if they are actually registered on CrossFit.com
- Judge at the gym event: 1 point
- New PR: 2 points. This could be PRing a lift, improving your score on a repeat workout, 1st muscle-up, etc.
How Do I Participate?
Please note that we encourage everyone to register for the open via the crossfit.com. But If you really would prefer not to, you will still be able to participate in the Outlier Masters vs. Millennials event.
You are automatically entered into our intra-gym event if you have registered on crossfit.com and chosen Outlier as your affiliate. To sign up for our intra-gym event only (without registering on crossfit.com), you can do one of the following:
- Fill out the online registration form.
- Write your name on the “Outliers in the Open” whiteboard on the gym. Please note you are not required to do both.