Its that time of year again, the open is just around the corner. It is an opportunity for all Outliers, no matter your age or experience level, to learn a little bit about yourself as an athlete, and to bond with your fellow gym members. All while having a little bit of fun along the way.
What is the Open?
The 2021 CrossFit Games Open is a three-week competition open to anyone. Competitors are given one workout to complete each week and submit their scores online.
The Open is Open to All
It doesn’t matter if you’re 14, 40, or 64. Just starting out or a muscle-up pro. And adaptive athletes are here to win. Compare your results by division, location, gym, or group. There are 3 divisions: Rx, Scaled, and Foundations. There will even be workout options released to involve no equipment, making the open truly accessible to anyone.
How Do I Register?
CLICK HERE to register for The CrossFit Open
When Does The Open Take Place?
Week 1 – February 24th – 28th
Week 2 – March 3rd – 7th
Week 3 – March 10th – 14th
Outlier’s Intra-Gym Competition – AM vs. PM
Each year we pair the Open with a friendly intra-gym competition. This year will see the return of AM vs PM. We will split open participants in half based on when you typically come to the gym and see who comes out on top! More than just workout performance will be considered each week.
It is a simple answer to which team you are on…do you usually come to the gym in the morning or afternoon? We realize some of you come at different times, so just pick what seems to be your most frequent. In an effort keep the number of participants on each team relatively equal, the noon class will be considered team AM…that gives us four AM classes and four PM classes.
That being said…if we find out based on sign ups that the numbers appear to be skewed in a certain direction, we will take steps to even the playing field.
Each week we will gather in group setting to complete the workouts. This will not be your only opportunity to complete the workout, but it will certainly be the most fun. Please come if you can make it! Spectators welcome of course. Friday night lights will be more light Friday afternoon lights, see below for the timeline.
Week 1, 2/25 – Friday Night Lights. Gym opens at 3:00pm, first heat at 4:00pm.
Week 2, 3/4 – Friday Night Lights. Gym opens at 3:00pm, first heat at 4:00pm.
Week 3, 3/11 – Friday Night Lights, but this time with tacos afterwards. Gym opens at 3:00pm, first heat at 4:00pm. Stick around for tacos and hanging out afterwards! We will send out more info on how to get in on the taco order as this date approaches.
Subsequent heat times will be posted after workouts are released so we can determine the time frame needed. Expect heats to run every 20-30 minutes. You will be expected to warm up on your own.
This year we will try to provide a scoring structure that places less of an emphasis on a team’s overall performance, but incentivizes participation in gym events.
- Complete the workout: 1 point
- Complete the workout at the gym’s event (Friday Night Lights ): 1 point
- Top 15 men and women, Rx division: 15-1 points, for those who complete the workout Rx that week
- 1st = 15 points, 2nd = 14 points, 2nd = 13 points, etc…15th = 1 point
- Top 5 scaled men and women, scaled (all age groups): 10-2 points, for those who complete the workout scaled that week (using the official scale from crossfit.com).
- 1st = 10 points, 2nd = 8 points, etc…5th = 2 points
- Top AM Legend and top PM Legend receive 10 points (for the open, Legends are considered age 55+).
- Judge an open workout: 1 point
- Please note that all athletes participating in Outlier’s AM vs. PM event must be judged, regardless if they are actually registered on CrossFit.com
- Judge at the gym event: 1 point
- New PR: 2 points. This could be PRing a lift, improving your score on a repeat workout, 1st muscle-up, etc.
How Do I Participate?
Please note that we encourage everyone to register for the open via the crossfit.com. But If you really would prefer not to, you will still be able to participate in the Outlier AM vs. PM event.
You are automatically entered into our intra-gym event if you have registered on crossfit.com and chosen Outlier as your affiliate. To sign up for our intra-gym event only (without registering on crossfit.com), you can write your name on the whiteboard at the gym.